Two things I love to do are in this recipe: 1) replace carbs with spiralized veggies and tell myself I’m actually having pasta for dinner and 2) make my own pasta sauce from soaked nuts because lets face it I’m a little cray cray.
We use the Paderno Spiralizer from William- Sonoma. What a God sent. Let me tell you. It is a biatch to clean but totally worth the calories saved. You will see I spiraled almost anything and everything. Most recipes call for zucchini to spiralize but this is the WORST. It holds a lot of water and then as you cook the zucchini to heat it up, it dilutes your delicious sauce and your noodles become mush. I prefer to use veggies that are more dense like butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, and beets.
Soooooo it was my husband’s birthday this last weekend and while most men ask for home improvement tools or a home brewing kit, mine asked for a food processor. Don’t get me wrong Tyler is a guy’s guy but he is also gonna make a great house husband one day. We previously used a vitamix for the sauce which also works but then you have to double the sauce ingredients to get it to blend well.
We got married almost a year ago and while we were compiling our registry my husband took reign of the requested kitchen supplies. Thank goodness he did, because I did not see value in $300 pots but Le Creuset Dutch Ovens are the SHIT! I highly recommend getting one and if your not made of cash your in luck they sell them at their outlet stores!
Serving Size: 4
Prep Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes (microwaving) 55 minutes (baking)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water (for soaking)
- 3/4 cup water (for sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, spiraled and peeled
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons fage greek yogurt
- 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 8oz. white mushrooms
- parmesan cheese to top
- Microwave or bake the sweet potatoes until semi-soft. If your microwaving (I do this and get the sweet potatoes that come individually wrapped and say microwavable). If baking set oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let cashews soak for at a minimum of 2 hours. When I know I’m gonna cook this I just soak them overnight and I feel it tastes better this way.
- Drain. Rinse. Place in food processor or vitamix. Add fage greek yogurt, water, salt, and garlic. Puree until smooth.
- Let the sweet potatoes cool then peel and spiralize.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook ground turkey until brown, then add mushrooms, spinach, sweet potatoes, and cashew sauce.
- Plate, top with parmesan cheese and ENJOY!