I LOVE this tea because of its anti-inflammatory properties within each ingredient. Our diets are filled with inflammatory foods like sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oils, trans fats, dairy products, processed meats and refined grains.
At the cellular level, your digestive system perceives these “toxins” as foreign material. This signals mast cells and macrophages to digest and eliminate these toxins and puts the rest of the body on high alert aka a food baby. Eating these foods can mimic a chronic infection that your body wants to get rid of and triggers an immune response, which in turns causes the inflammation.
Glucose is the main source of energy for the brain and when your bloodstream is filled with inflammatory mediators this prevents the needed sugar from entering your brain and in return causing you to crave more sugary foods. Thus creating a cyclic problem leading to “chronic infection” and intestinal inflammation.
GINGER is high in ginererol, which is a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. Ginger can speed up the emptying of the stomach by 50%, which can be beneficial for people with indigestion and stomach discomfort after eating.
TURMERIC contains curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
LEMON JUICE (sorry the dentist is about to come out in me) but it can help relieve bad breath. The acidity and antiseptic properties of lemon help fight bacterial growth in your mouth. Its sulfuric compounds also help to neutralize the aroma of garlic and onions.
But back to your flat tum tum, lemons contain nomilian, proven to lower body weight, blood sugar and insulin levels.
CINNAMON contains large amounts of highly potent polyphenol antioxidants. It is so powerful in fact it can be used as a natural food preservative. These anti-oxidants also have anti-inflammatory effects, which can help fight a food coma bloat.
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh turmeric root, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cup water
- Add lemon, turmeric, ginger , and boiling water to a loose leaf teapot. Let steep for 2 minutes
- Add cinnamon stick and honey to tea cup
- The ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon can be ground powder.
- Fresh turmeric stains so when cutting use a plastic cutting board not wood one.
- If you don’t own a loose leaf teapot, an infuser spoon would do (just squeeze the lemon juice in the tea cup first. You can also use cheese cloth and tie it with butcher’s twine (classy AF)