Summer is here! Which basically means I need to start eating more salads and less carb heavy meals. But I can only eat salad if they are BOMB.com and this recipe gets the taste buds going. The dill and jalapeño are EVERYTHING is this dish. Every bite pops and trust me sister you will not be craving anything else once your done eating this. You will be fully satisfied, promise.
Ok, lets discuss these falafels. They are not authentic by any means but let me just say these almost brought tears to my eye because they were so damn good. Its basically the healthy version of hush puppies from Long John Silvers. I probably eat 10 of them last night dipped them in the ranch. Its hilarious when something is “healthy” I loose all self control and go ham. I neglect to admit they are fried because come on its sweet potato right?!?!?
Tip: Don’t blend until smooth. Leave a little chunky, it was always a nice surprise to get a crunch in the falafel from the almonds.
Confession: I did wash my hands before taking this picture because I had the “dough” all over! I recommend putting flour all over your hands before rolling them into balls, would have been nice if I though of that ahead of time. Also, don’t roll the balls too big so they can fully cook through without getting burnt on the outside.
Be careful to not burn yourself! I had Tyler do this part because I’m notorious for burning and cutting myself in the kitchen. I know! I’m a dentist, I’m supposed to have good handskills but in the kitchen it all goes out the window. I think its because I’m always rushing to get dinner on the table. Well that’s my excuse at least.
Cook to your liking. But once they got this color I thought the inside was perfect! Not too “bready” tasting.
Don’t skimp on the dill. Some people might think its just garnish but holy moly it made the dish more Tyler and I. I would add some, then add some more. More the merrier when it comes to both the dill and goat cheese.
Since its summer and watermelon is finally back in season and decided to pair this dish with my easy watermelon juice. I can always find a use for the vitamix in every meal!
Come on! Don’t these look yum?!?!?!?
A perfect summer dish that is refreshing and satisfying all while being beach body conscious.
Sweet Potato Falafel:
- 2 cooked sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon diced jalapeño
- oil for frying
- 1 tomato
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 can corn, roasted
- handful of dill
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 fresh jalapeño
- your favorite yogurt-based ranch dressing
- 1/8 watermelon
- handful fresh mint
- Pulse the sweet potato through a food processor until minced.
- Add brown rice and almonds then pulse again.
- Add egg, salt, sugar, and jalapeño until uniform in texture.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in flour
- Roll the mixture into small balls with your hands.
- Heat the oil.
- Fry each falafel for a few minutes until golden brown and cook through.
- Roast the corn in a toaster oven or over the stove.
- Assemble all your salad ingredients into a large bowl. Top with the falafel.
- Mince the jalapeño and add to your favorite ranch dressing then add to your salad.
- Add watermelon, mint, and ice to the vitamix and blend.