Miami is an eclectic blend of South Beach Glamour, miles of golden sands, painted with ice cream colors of its Art Deco district and claimed for its 24/7 party vibe. A perfect setting to a girls weekend trip or a romantic getaway with your boy toy. Not to mention an instragram worthy backdrop to any picture!
Miami is a tropical paradise and a multicultural mecca by the sea. It is full of “experiences” to be had from sunrise to well… sunrise. There is no shortage of things to do – from relaxed beach days, to exploring the painted walls and indie bars of Wynwood, to getting glam in glitzy historic hotel bars of South Beach, and lastly to strolling one of the many colorful and historic neighbourhoods.
When it comes to planning a trip to Miami, no need to look any further as this guide is sure to please!
the Confidante $$ (mid-beach) I’m the type of girl that tries to ball on a budget and let me tell you, the Confidante is Miami glam that won’t break the bank. At the Confidante you will truly be living in pastels and I loved every second of it.
Their cocktails were on point and the subject to many of my snapchats! My two go-to’s were the spicy chino and the coconut water with a shot of Malibu Rum! This coconut was the best coconut I’ve ever had! They ship them in from Thailand and is served with a spoon to scoop out the jelly coconut meat. Plus how cute is the stamp on the front!?!?!?
One of my favorite things about our hotel was that it was NOT located in the notorious South Beach.” Honestly, mid-beach is where its at. South beach was littered with trashy club promoters, druggies and beached whales. The hotel is located right on the boardwalk and has the most adorable umbrellas of all Miami beach. Escape under an umbrella, read White Girl Problems, or just people watch. With your stay you get two chairs with your room but you do have to pay $20/umbrella per day.
The Raleigh $$$ (south beach)
Delano South Beach $$$ (south beach)
The Miami Beach EDITION $$$$ (mid-beach)
Fauna House $$$ (mid-beach)
Fauna’s umbrellas did rival ours at the Confidante so of course I had to take a picture!
Bird and Bone $$ (mid-beach)
This cute brunch spot is located at the Confidante. Each morning they offer a buffet breakfast for $24 but I opted for the revitalizing smoothies and loaded toasts. They have four different smoothies on their menu; cleanse (apple, cucumber, celery), energize (with cold brew coffee), reward (cocoa and cashew), and hydrate (watermelon and coconut water). They also have four different toasts; avocado toast (a basic betch fav), fig, smoked salmon, and ham with fingerling potato. If your like me and recently went “vegan” (I still eat seafood) after watching What the Health they have various vegan and gluten-free options.
Malibu Farms $$ (mid-beach)
Well technically its still underconstruction at Eden Roc but they serve all the classics by the pool in the meantime. The original Malibu Farms is out on a pier in Malibu, California. They serve health conscious foods but are not lacking in the flavor department. I would highly recommend the watermelon cocktail and cauliflower crust pizza. The restaurant they are currently building is BEAUTIFUL. If your familiar with the original, don’t expect the same casual vibe. This will be an actual sit down oceanfront restaurant. Wouldn’t be surprised if the prices go up as well.
My Ceviche $ (south beach)
So this place is literally a whole in the wall, but sooooo delicious. They have poke bowls, tacos, salads and burritos. You order at the window and they only have outdoor sitting. (Hack: order a beer at the hostel next door and eat your food in the A/C or just get it to-go
for the beach)
Taquiza $ (south beach)
Again only outdoor sitting 😦 But BOMB tacos. They had all your classics as well as some very interesting tacos, like grasshoppers!!! Sorry to disappoint but didn’t try that one! Order the chips and guacamole!!! But I would skip on the quinoa bowl, I’m kinda a snob
when it comes to “bowls” and I wasn’t so impressed.
La Sandwicherie $ (south beach) A MUST!
Dirt $ (south beach) VEGAN- friendly
Jar + Fork $$ (downtown Miami)
So I know the weather is super hot in the summertime but I would highly recommend visiting between August 1st and September 30th. It’s down season and over 200 restaurants participate in Miami Spice. Which is a three-course tasting menu. Lunch is $23 and dinner is $39. Basically you can eat at all the amazing Miami four dollar price
sign restaurants for a more reasonable price. (Somehow, my husband and I can find a deal but still spend just as much money as we would have without the deal.) Also, all of Miami includes gratuity at the end of the bill so no need to add more.
Cleo’s $$$ (south beach)
So of course the night we go they weren’t offering Miami Spice (check the website to make sure which nights they are offering the deal). But they do have a “Cleo’s Experience” it was $49.99 and soooooo happy we did this! Everyone at the table ordered something different and each person is able to choose 4 different plates, so basically
you can taste the ENTIRE menu. I would suggest sitting outside and ordering a hookah with dinner!
Komodo $$$$ (Brickell)
The same owner of the infamous, Liv Nightclub, owns and designed Komodo. Its a three story restaurant that turns lounge in the evenings. I would recommend going on a Saturday night but definitely get reservations far in advance! The coolest thing about this place are the “nests” you can eat in. Outside there are three staircases leading to “nests” where you can people watch from above. Be on the lookout, Kim K and Kanye are rumored to visit whenever in Miami. EVERYTHING at this restaurant was beyond amazing. You must order the brussel sprouts, and mushroom truffle pasta. The sushi was also one the the freshest tasting sushi I’ve had in a long time. It seriously brought feelings of nostalgia back to time of the fish market in Japan. (basically the most amazing sushi will will EVER have)
WATR rooftop at the 1 hotel $$$$ (mid-beach)
Ok, so even if your not gonna eat here, you have to go for a drink and watch the sunset. You would think the best view is on the ocean side of the restaurant but the sun setting over the canals of Miami steals the show! Unfortunately, this was our most disappointing meal. The Miami Spice menu was on point and we were so excited after having amazing sushi at Komodo. (Did I mention it was asian-fusion?) So the “three-course meal” came out in a bento box and was like a baby-version of one course! Ever other meal we left so satisfied and full and after our “three-course meal” I was ready for the main to still
come out (mind you we ordered an appetizer and drinks before the meal)!
Mandolin Aegean Bistro $$ (wynwood)
Icebox $$ (south beach)
1) Vizcaya Museum– Beautiful oceanfront mansion with even more beautiful gardens!
2) Casa Casuarina, aka Versace Mansion- so you have many options with this place! you can stay here, you can eat here, or you can just tour the grounds!
3) Little Havana– stroll along Calle Ocho (seventh block between 12th and 19th avenues). You’ll know your in the heart of Miami when you hear salsa music pouring out the shop windows and smell the aroma of arroz con pollo. Explore the old school eateries and cigar shops.
4) Pérez Art Museum– You can go for the art and shit but really go to eat at Verde. It has sweeping views of Biscayne Bay and hanging greenery that is breathtaking.
1) Play Captain of the Sea– rent a boat off groupon for about $100/hr. ***Warning you have to be born after 1988 or hold a Florida boating license to drive the boat. Tour the multi-million dollar homes from their backyard and imagine which one belonged to Scarface and his dealers.
2) Bike the Boardwalk- the boardwalk goes from 5th street to Indian Beach Park (right after Fontainebleau) If your staying at the Confidante 2 bike rentals come with each room for two hours a day for free. Technically your not supposed to bike on parts of the boardwalk but literally everyone does it so don’t give in to the signs and walk.
3) Spot the instagramable lifeguard towers
Here are the note-worthy ones (going from south to north):
Jetty- red and white tower
5th st- purple and yellow tower with the infamous Miami Beach sign (featured image)
10th st- pink green and orange tower
30th st- pink and yellow tower
83rd- pink tower
4) Walk Ocean St.– So ya its a little trashy down there but it is the classic Art deco style buildings and are worth checking out.
5) See the murals of Wynwood Walls- This area is newly revitalized and could be rough around the edges in some parts. But yet still every Miami-based fashion blogger is there on the regular. Plus there are some cool eateries and bars in the area but I’d prefer
to go during the daytime.
6) Visit Key Biscayne– This is the most north of the Florida Keys and is worth visiting if your in Miami more than a few days.
7) Champagne Showers at a Pool Party– a trip to Miami isn’t complete without some Dom Perigean spritzed to the beats of Deadmau5. If your looking to be seen checkout Hyde Beach Pool Party at the SLS or Mondrain Pool Club.